When you want to take great product photos, you need to have really good tools. Essentially, you can have all the talents, but having these tools at your disposal can dramatically increase your productivity and potentially triple the sales of the product.
5 things to know to take great product photos
The things we are going to discuss are cameras for product photography, shooting tables, cycloramas, background erasers and light tents. Once you’re done reading this, you’ll know what to look for when you start photographing products.
1. Camera for product photography
Obviously, the first thing we need for any kind of photography is a camera, and we have to find a good but affordable option as there are many cameras on the market that have different specs, and that is a huge problem to choose from among the crowd. So, we offer you three:
- Panasonic LUMIX G85: A great choice for photographers who care about fine details, and it’s mirrorless so we can take pictures faster. In addition, it has a five-axis image stabilization system. Finally, it is a very affordable option.
- Nikon D850 FX-Format Digital SLR: this is a more expensive option, but it is worth it because the resolution is 45.7 megapixels, the battery is very powerful and it is a good solution for business serious.
- Canon EOS 6D Mark II: It is resistant to water and dust. The resolution is 26.2 megapixels. It has a smart viewfinder and supports Bluetooth, NFC (near field communication) and Wi-Fi.
Also interesting: taking better photos with the rule of thirds
These three are probably the best possible choice for professional product photography. But, you still need other equipment if you want to be able to display a great photo on your product brochure or website or if you are doing product photography for a living.
2. Shooting table
A foldable shooting table is always useful. You can take it with you to your customers or wherever and whenever you want to take pictures of a product you want to sell. The top two choices for shooting tables:
- Fovitec Portable Shooting Table: It is a shooting table with a white background, a suitable element for photographs taken for e-commerce purposes. Because the backdrop is white, there are no reflections or glare.
- Flashpoint Shooting Table: This is a foldable and portable plexiglass shooting table. It offers an amazing backlight effect thanks to the plexiglass, but the light will depend on the type of camera you have.
A cyclorama is something every photographer should have, especially if you don’t have a shooting table. It provides the best background for product photos because it is designed to look like an endless white loop behind a product.
Equipping yourself with a cyclorama ensures you always have a good background for your products. There is no reflection, no glare, nothing, just the product and the pure white behind. If it is not essential, then it should be seen as an essential tool.
4. Background suppressor
Professional photography sometimes requires the use of software that can remove the background from an image. Think about it. Whether you’re a wedding photographer, food photographer, or product photographer, you need this kind of software.
When a photobomber enters your background, you can easily remove it and keep everything as is. This is a great solution because it is cheaper than buying a cyclorama or a shooting table, and it is useful even when you have these equipments.
Imagine that you take a photo of a product in your cyclorama or on your shooting table, and a fly or other insect lands on it. You don’t need to use expensive editing software when you can use a simple background eraser.
5. Light boxes
Light boxes perform a similar function to shooting tables or cycloramas. However, if you really want to get rid of all the shadows this is fantastic equipment. They are usually equipped with LED light beads, and these can be dimmable. Here are the top three choices:
- Glendan Portable Photo Studio Softbox: Contains 112 LED light beads and a dimming range of 1% to 100%. It means we can adjust the brightness as we want. We can make the background brighter or softer. You can take photos from multiple angles and easily assemble the box. There is also a reflection board and a diffuser for the lights to make the photos even more advanced. It is for the products that can fit in a box of 30 × 30 cm.
- Mini DUCLUS light box for photo studio: this one is half the price of the first, but it comes with 40 LED beads. The opening is curved and there are two openings so you can shoot from different angles. It’s great for shooting products, but the size is a little smaller. It is a box with 20 cm sides. It is therefore suitable for shooting smaller products. If you are looking to photograph larger products, you can use a background remover.
- Emart Photography Tabletop Light Box Upgrade: At the same price as the first one, this light box is suitable for larger products as its dimensions are 40x34x36cm (LxWxH). It has four different backgrounds and comes with 104 LED light strips. The background colors are white, gray, blue and black. You can carry it anywhere, and there are USB power sockets.
YouTube: 5 Product Photography Mistakes to Avoid (Peter McKinnon)
Did this article help you? If not, tell us what we missed.