LAS CRUCES – The Doña Ana Photography Club recently announced the winners of its 10th annual Juried Photography of the Year competition.
Bill Hanson’s “Backyard Wheel” took top honors from 66 member entries. Hanson’s otherworldly photo combines 180 exposures of the night sky to create the trail of light scattered by the stars as they cross the sky above his New Mexico garden.
“Beauty can be found everywhere, even in our backyard,” Hanson said.
The Photograph of the Year contest gives club members the opportunity to share their best recent captures and get feedback through awards and comments from the judges.
“The Photo of the Year competition is the crowning achievement of the year for the Doña Ana Photography Club. We always have plenty of competitors, and the event brings out their best work,” said club chairman Dale Taylor.
Registration is by class and by category. Class A is open to past POY Ribbon winners and Class B is for everyone else. Class A categories are monochrome and color; Class B categories are combined.
Hanson’s POY photo was the best in class A, color. Other Best in Class awards went to Seth Madell for “Ansel and Me”, Class A, Monochrome; and Marc Christensen for “Immensity”, class B. The other winners were:
- Class A, monochrome, blue ribbon: Dave Brown and Patrick Straight.
- Class A, monochrome, red ribbon: Beth Waters, Patrick Straight and Carl Maier
- Class A, color, blue ribbon: Stan Ford, Dave Brown, Gerald Guss, Patrick Straight and Jim Rodgers
- Class A, Colour, Red Ribbon: David Turning, Gerald Guss, Ron Wolfe, Terry Gaume, Dave Brown, Patrick Straight and Bill Hanson
- Class B, blue ribbon: Marc Christensen, Tiffany Goolsby and Amy Thompson West
- Class B, red ribbon: Amy Thompson West and Marc Christensen
Three professional photographers made up the jury. Bill Boone is the owner of Atlanta-based Coast to Coast Photo. E. Gary Gunn of TopGum Photography is a freelance photographer based in New Mexico. Kathleen Walker is a local photographer.
Following:CMI professors’ pandemic-inspired film wins festival awards
The Doña Ana Photography Club, founded in 1955, provides education, inspiration, and a social network for photographers and photography enthusiasts in Doña Ana County and surrounding areas.
For more information about the club or to join, go to www.daphotoclub.org or search for Doña Ana Photography Club on Facebook.