Budding photographers still have time to enter a photography competition to capture Exeter’s favorite trees. But hurry, registration closes on Friday, November 18!
Townspeople are invited to create an image of their favorite tree in Exeter.
The contest is open to amateur photographers and entrants could receive a prize for their efforts. So far, over 30 entries have been received.
This is the third year in a row that the Council has run the competition, in conjunction with Devon Trees Services, which offers a range of great prizes.
The person who takes the best picture will win a Haynes Handbook for Trees and a framed photograph of their photo, with the runner-up receiving a framed photograph of their photo. Again, there’s also an under 16 category for aspiring junior photographers, with the same prizes for winner and runner-up.
The competition is being held in the run-up to National Tree Week – November 27 to December 5.
Here are the rules:
- Photos must have been taken recently – after October 24, 2022 – and images submitted during last year’s contest will not be permitted.
- There is a maximum of two entries per person and the entry deadline is November 18.
- The competition is only open to people living in Exeter and they must be amateur photographers. The City Council reserves the right to reproduce all submitted images in future publications, online stories or social media posts.
- Images can be with or without people, but must include an Exeter tree (within Exeter City Council boundaries).
- Images can be selfies, arty snaps, black and white or color images. It can be funny photos with children, friends or family or just a simple photo of your favorite tree. If there are people in the photo, make sure they have given permission to be photographed.
- Entries must have a name, the age of the photographer (if under 16) and a specific location of the tree and the date the photo was taken.
People can upload their photos using the following link https://bit.ly/3z62696, or alternatively email their applications to [email protected]
Alternatively, photos can be sent to: Public Realm Trees, Room 3.32, Civic Centre, Exeter EX1 1JN. Images emailed or sent must be clearly marked “ECC Tree Photo Contest”. A jury will decide on the best photos and the prizes awarded to the best adult and runner-up and to the best junior and runner-up.
National Tree Week is the UK’s biggest annual celebration of trees, marking the start of the winter tree planting season (November to March each year).
This year, it runs from Sunday November 27 to Monday December 5. Further information on national events can be found on the Tree Council website nationaltoday.com/national-tree-week/