Photography packages

VA Loan Tips for Disabled Veterans

What grants are available for veterans with disabilities?

A disabled veteran may be able to purchase a home with a VA loan at no cost, but if the home also needs accessibility modifications, the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant and Special Adaptation Grant from housing (SHA) are available to help. To qualify for these particular grants, you must have a service-related disability rating of 100% VA.

The HSA assists qualified veterans with any of the following:

  • Build a house with special disability-related modifications.
  • Remodeling and modifying an existing home to meet adaptive housing needs.
  • Apply the grant to the main mortgage balance of an adapted home that has already been purchased without VA grant assistance.

The SHA assists qualified veterans with any of the following:

  • Adapt an existing home that the veteran already owns.
  • Adapt a home that the Veteran intends to purchase.
  • Help a veteran buy an already adapted house.

It is important to note that if you are considering a grant, the maximum amount allowed for the HSA for fiscal year 2021 is $100,896. For SHA, the grant limit is $20,115. In addition, veterans must have their disability benefits approved before applying for housing subsidies.

Veterans who qualify for either of these programs may also be eligible for a Temporary Residential Adaptation (TRA) grant. This allows you to obtain funds to temporarily adapt the residence of a family member in whom you are temporarily living. The maximum loan amount for a veteran eligible for HSA is $40,637. If you are eligible for SHA, the maximum TRA grant is $7,256 for 2021.

Even if you don’t qualify for any of these particular programs, check with your local VA office as well as the local branch of the Department of Health and Human Services in your area. There may be other sources of funding, specific to veterans and otherwise, that will allow you to meet goals related to housing or anything else made more difficult by your service-related disability.